Email    Facebook  News
HAZELWOOD HOUSE INFORMATION PANEL The   Hazelwood   House   Information   Pane   has   now   been   sited   in   front   on   the   former Wynne   residence,   along   the   roadside   for   all   to   see   on   the   Hazelwood   Estate.   The   HHS   group before   their   visit   to   Lissan   House   took   the   opportunity   to   view   the   panel   that   gives   details   of   this notable   Sligo   estate   and   the   family   that   was   so   important   to   the   history   and   culture   of   Sligo.   The panel reads : Owen   Wynne   II,   whose   forefathers   came   from   Wales   after   the   Cromwellian   times,   built Hazelwood   house.   Generations   of   the   Wynne         family   lived   in   succession   in   the   house. All   of   the male   heirs   were   called   Owen,   with         the   exception   of   one   called   John.   Many   were   active   in politics   some   local,   where         they   were   either   burgess   or   High   Sheriff,   and   others   who   were elected   to   represent   Sligo   at   Westminster. As   burgess   they   were   allowed   to   collect   taxes,   customs duties,   tolls   and   levies      on   all   business   transactions   including   fairs,   and   markets.   They   also looked   after   their   tenants,   staff   and   the   community,   building   the   original   hospital,         the   Poor house,   the   Charter   school   on   the   present   Grammar   school   site,   as   well   as         Calry   church   on   the Mall,   and   the Asylum,   now   St   Columba's   hospital.   They   gave         employment   to   a   huge   number   of people,   both   directly   within   the   household,   and   on   the   estate.   They   farmed   the   land,   improving   it considerably   by   good   husbandry   as         well   as   draining   huge   areas   of   wet   ground.      The   family travelled   widely   in   Europe,   particularly   in   the   1800's. The   ladies         painted   scenes   in   water   colours in   Italy,   while   the   men   brought   back   specimens   of         plants,   trees,   and   shrubs   from   India,   China and   Nepal.   These   were   later   incorporated   into   the   gardens      The   Wynnes   tightly   controlled   local politics   and   affairs   for   both   town   and   county.   As   part   of   the   Hazelwood   land   purchase,   Owen Wynne   II   and   his   family   also   acquired   Sligo's   rights   to   fairs,   markets,   tolls   and   customs,   a substantial source of income for them. Hazelwood   House   was   designed   by   German   architect   John   Cassels   and   built   in   1722   of     cut   and   polished   limestone,   in   an   Italian   style,   with   a   four   storey   facade   and   two         lateral   curving wings.   The   Hall   door   is   reached   by   climbing   a   flight   of      stone   steps         leading   onto   a   spacious platform   which   offers   fine   scenic   views.   The   house   is   a   large   Palladian   mansion,   in   its   day   it   was a   leading   example   of   a   new   architectural   style,   and   today   is   still   a   very   important   Georgian     building Systematic   forestation   was   carried   out   on   the   Wynne   estate   and   in   other   lands   taken   on long   leases   by   an   Act   of   the   Irish   Parliament   of   1783/84,   a   financial   advantage   was   offered   for the   planting   of   trees,   and   for   this         purpose   the   landowner   had   to   make   annually   a   sworn   return stating   the   varieties   and   numbers   of   trees   planted   during   the   previous   twelve   months.   The   record of   these   returns   extends   in   time   from   1785   to   1835   and   thus   relate   to   Owen   IV         and   Owen   V. During   this   fifty   years   period   the   number   of   trees   planted   is   just   short   of   200,000.   Twenty-three different   varieties   were   included,   the   largest   number   being   Scots   fir,   alder   and   ash,   with   oak   and beech not far behind. Lt.   General   Owen   Wynne   II      (1664-1736/7)   of   Hazelwood,   the   third   son   of   Owen   Wynne I   of   Lurganboy,   was   born   in   1664   or   1665.   He   was   educated   at   Trinity   College,   Dublin,   and studied   for   the   Bar.   In   1722,   Owen   bought   the   family's   estates   in   Co.   Sligo   [comprising   in   total c.14,500   acres]   for   £20,000.   The   conveyance         included   parts   of   Sligo   town,   together   with   the town's   fairs,   markets,   tolls   and   customs.   At   Hazelwood   he   built   his   house,   to   the   designs   of   the German   architect,   Richard   Cassels   Owen Wynne   II   died   in   1737.   He   left   his   estate   to   his   nephew, Owen Wynne III. Colonel   Owen   Wynne   III      (1686-1755)   When   Owen   Wynne   III   succeeded   his   uncle   in 1737   he   was   the   first   of   the   Wynnes   to   combine   in   one   ownership   the   family   lands   in   Counties Leitrim,   Cavan   and   Sligo.   Owen   III   was   High   Sheriff   of   Co.   Sligo   in   1723         and   1745,   he   filled the   same   office   in   Co.   Leitrim   in   1724.   Owen   III   died   in   1755   and   was   succeeded   by   his   second son, Owen IV. Right   Honourable   Owen   Wynne   IV      (   1723   -   1789)   Owen   Wynne   IV   was   elected   in   1749 M.P.    for    Co.    Sligo    in    the    Irish    Parliament.    He    became    an    Irish    Privy    Councillor    in    1756;          allowing   him   the   title   of   Right   Honourable.      Owen   IV   died   in   1789   leaving   six   sons   and   three daughters. His eldest son, Owen, succeeded to the family estates. Owen    Wynne    V    (1755-1841)    Twice    High    Sheriff    of    Co.    Sligo    during    his    father's          lifetime.              Above   all   Owen   V   was   a   notable   agricultural   pioneer,   intent   on   bringing   the   benefits of   the   English   agrarian   revolution         to   Ireland.   In   1822   the   potato   crop   failed   and   the   production of   oats   fell.   It   is   probable   that   Owen's   lead   in   improving   the   standard   of   his   tenants'         agriculture and   stockbreeding   was   of   some   assistance   outside   the   town;   at   least   he   had   helped   to   diversify agriculture away from the potato. The   Rt   Hon.   John   Arthur   Wynne   (1801-1865)   In   1830   John   Wynne   succeeded   his   father as   member   of   Parliament   for   the   borough.   In   1843,   as   famine   became   more   severe,   John   Wynne reduced   his   rents.     Wynne   was   re-elected   in   1859,   but   advancing   ill-health   caused   him   to   resign   a year   later.   He   had   served   his   community   well.   He   was   chairman   of   the   Board   of   Guardians,   the body   responsible   for      poverty   relief   between   1847   and   1852.   He         helped   to   found   the   Sligo mental   hospital.   He   continued   his   father's   work   in   agriculture   and   forestation.   He   died   in         1865 at the age of 64.    Owen   Wynne   VI   (1843-1910).      Owen   Wynne   VI   succeeded   to   the   family   estates   in   1865 at   the   age   of   twenty-three.   In   his   youth   he   had   served   as   a         lieutenant   in   the   61st   Foot   Regiment and,   as   one   would   expect,   he   was   High   Sheriff   of   Co.   Sligo   in   1875   and   of   Co.         Leitrim   in   1881. At   the   age   of   27   he   married   Stella   Fanny,   the   younger   daughter   of   Sir   Robert   Gore-Booth   of Lissadell,         the   4th   baronet.   On   Sunday   27   February   1887,   Mrs Wynne   suffered   a   serious   carriage accident   which   caused   her   death.   Owen   Wynne   VI   died   in   1910   aged   67.            The   great   estates   of 15,000   acres   of   Leitrim   and   14,000   acres   in   Sligo   had   for   the   most   part         been   sold.   Since   he   had no   male   heir,   with   his   death   the   line   of   the Wynnes   of   Hazelwood   came   to   an   end. The   house   and surprisingly large remaining estate were sold by the last Wynne descendant to own it in 1937.  Wynne Family Timeline Owen II WYNNE 1664 - 1736/7 Owen   III WYNNE   1686   -   1756.   Married   Catherine   FFOLLIOT      (children   Hannah,   Lucy, James, John, Owen IV WYNNE; Death of son James 1748) Owen   IV   WYNNE         1723   -   1789   Married   Anne   Maxwell   (children   Henry   Rev   Elder, Elizabeth, Judith, John, Richard (Rev) Owen V ,Robert, Catherine, William Henry) Owen   V   of   Hazelwood   MP   WYNNE   1755   -   1841      Married   Lady   Sarah   Elizabeth   Cole (children   Owen,   Anne,   Sarah   Frances,   Florence,   Elizabeth,   John   Arthur,   William   Willoughby (Rev) John   Arthur   WYNNE   1801   -   1865   Married   Lady   Anne   Wesforde   Butler   (children   Sarah,   Grace Florence, Owen VI, James) Lt.   Owen WYNNE VI   1843   -   1910   Married   Stella   Fanny   GORE-BOOTH   1870   (children Muriel Caroline Louisa, Evelyn Mary, Dorothy Adelaide, Madeline Mary)
      HHS Recieves ‘GATHERING’ Certificate Signed By Irish President At a reception held in the Sligo Park Hotel on Nov 25th HHS Hon.Sec Irene Allen and Committee Member Kate Bell joined representatives from many and varied Sligo societies, groups and individuals as ‘The Gathering’ officially came to a close. On behalf of the Hazelwocod Heritage Society they received a certificate, signed by President Michael D. Higgins, stating that the HHS had taken part in the Irish Gathering endeavour of 2013.
Hazelwood House Information Panel Champion of Sligo Gathering Certificate
PJAllen©2017
  HARRY KEANEY Sligo Champion Article: CHAMPIONS OF SLIGO : BEATRICE MACDONALD         Defender of a great estate. Beatrice Macdonald has a deep- rooted passion for Hazelwood BEATRICE    MACDONALD    is    passionate    about    Hazelwood    House.    Sited along   the   tree-   co vered   banks   of   the   Garavogue,   it's   where   she   grew   up.   There's   also   a strong    family    connection.    "We    lived    along    the    river    when    I    was    a    child,"    she    said. "Hazelwood   House   was   nearby.   My   mother,   Hazel   Bracken,   and   my   grandparents   worked on   the   estate.   My   grandfather,   Richard   Bracken   and   my   great-   grandfather,   one   of   a   family of   11,   were   gamekeepers   on   the   estate.   Gamekeeping   was   what   the   Bracken   family   did. "There   were   Bracken   gamekeepers   on   all   the   estates   in   Ireland:   Hazelwood,   Markree, Ahamlish   in   Galway,   Castletown   in   Kildare.   Gamekeeping   was   in   their   blood. Those   days   it was   important   the   owner   of   an   estate   had   a   good   shoot   and   produced   birds   for   shooting. People   would   come   for   maybe   a   week,   with   horses   and   carriages.   It   was   ver   prestigious   to have a good shoot. And that would improve the estate owner's prestige.          Owners   of   Hazelwood   Estate   were   the   Wynne   family,   who,   for   generations,   were powerful   in   the   political   and   economic   life   of   the   region.   The   sixth   Owen   Wynne   was   the last   Wynne   to   occupy   Hazelwood   House.   He   died   in   1910   without   a   male   heir.   The   house now   lies   empty,   a   relic   of   a   bygone   age.   But   Beatrice   said:   "It   would   grieve   me   to   see   it   fall into   disrepair   or   that   nobody   would   care   about   it.   On   the   architectural   side,   it   is   very important. It's Cassels first Palladian style building in Ireland." While   Beatrice   grew   up   in the   shadow   of   Hazelwood   House,   her   life   was   to   take   her   away   -   for   a   time.   In   1962   she went   to   Dublin   to   start   her   nursing   career.She   trained   in   Liverpool,   followed   by   midwifery in   Gloucestershire   Royal   Infirmary.   She   got   married   and   had   two   sons, Alasdair   and   Stuart. In   2000   she   returned   home.   It   was   a   few   years   before   the   last   occupant   of   the   Hazelwood site,    Korean    video-    tape    maker    Saehan    Media,    sold    it    to    a    development    group    called Foresthaze.   AIB    has    since    appointed    Grant    Thornton    as    joint    receiver    for    Foresthaze Developments Limited, whose plans for the estate were turned down by " Sligo   County   Council.   Beatrice   recalled:   "I   was   busy   re-establishing   my   career   here. After   Hazelwood   was   sold,   it   was   all   over   the   papers   that   Foresthaze   had   bought   it   and   was applying   for   planning   permission   for   a   major   development.   "So   a   number   of   us   got   together and asked what were we going to do about it?" That   was   the   start   of   the   Hazelwood   Action   Group,   chaired   by   local   man   Michael Flanagan.   It   has   now   become   Hazelwood   Heritage   Society.   As   for   the   society's   aims, Beatrice   said:   "We   want   to   see   the   house   preserved   and   restored.   "We   would   like   to   see   it used   as   a   cultural,   educational   and   tourist   amenity    for    the    area.   As    to    how    this    can    be    done,   she    said:    "First    of    all,    we    have   to   get   AIB   to   gift   it   to   a   trust   fund   being   set   up   by Hazelwood   Heritage   Society.   "Then   we   set   up   a   visitor   centre   in   the   stable   yard   with   the usual   books,   CDs,   cup   of   coffee,   and   take   people   on   tours   around   parts   of   the   house   that   are safe.   People   could   go   down   to   the   river,   where   there   are   two   piers   and   go   for   a   cruise around   Lough   Gill.   People   would   have   a   lovely   tourist   experience   from   Ireland   and   the north west." As   for   the   likelihood   of   AIB   gifting   the   house,   Beatrice   said:   "We   live   in   hope.   We are   in   discussion   with   groups   such   as   the   Irish   Georgian   Society,   An   Taisce,   the   Heritage Council.   Everything   will   happen,   even   in   slow   motion,   if   the   house   can   be   gifted   to   the trust.